Instagram

Tuesday 24 February 2015

RIP Dawn

Today is an extra special post dedicated to someone who was a real inspiration to me, and who i was lucky enough to meet. Dawn Brancheau was a Killer Whale trainer at SeaWorld Orlando, and sadly on this day five years ago, she passed away after being killed by one of the whales that she loved so much.
I didn't know Dawn personally, but she was and still is an inspiration to me. When i met her in Shamu Underwater Viewing in April of 2005, I told her that i wanted to work with Whales at SeaWorld and be just like her. She said to me 'If You believe in you're dreams, you will succeed, and hopefully we will work together someday'. The Day i met her was one of the most amazing days of my life. Why, because not only did i meet Dawn, but she also helped me interact with three Killer Whales that were in the pool at the time. Katina, Kalina and Takara. Katina is the Matriarch of the Orlando Pod, Kalina was the original baby Shamu, she passed away in September 2010 and would have been 30 this year, and Takara, who was nearing the end of her second pregnancy with her calf Trua, she now lives at SeaWorld San Antonio in Texas. Dawn helped me interact with them and taught me a few basic hand signals such as asking the whales to stick their tongues out of waving their pectoral flippers. I remember Takara being so playful even though she was in her fifteenth or sixteenth month of pregnancy. Kalina was also playful, and Katina was occasionally coming up to the glass, unlike Kalina and Takara who pretty much stayed at the glass viewing area watching Dawn, Myself and My Grandma.
I will always remember Dawn, I support the foundation that her family set up in her Name, and i still want to be a trainer just like her, and i'm doing more everyday to achieve that. If you have any dreams or ambitions, just remember what Dawn said to me. 'Believe in you're dreams and you will succeed'.
Dawn with one of the whales that she loved. (credit to google for the image)

Thankyou for reading. I will leave the links to Dawn's foundation below along with my social media links.I will also leave you with a video of Dawn doing what she did best, performing with the killer whales she loved with all of her heart. (credit to the youtube channel who uploaded this video)
I will be back in a few days with another post. 
Byeee 
Katie xoxo



DAWN'S FOUNDATION: www.http://dawnsfoundation.org/

SOCIAL LINKS: 
TWITTER: @KatieLauren19xo
INSTAGRAM: @MissKatieLaurenxoxo
BLOGLOVIN: www.bloglovin.com/KatieLauren10
WE HEART IT: @MissKatieLaurenxoxoCheshire East 

No comments:

Post a Comment